BOOK DONATION INFORMATION
We are no longer accepting donations for the 2023 sale.
Donations will reopen for the 2024 sale during the summer. Please check back here or on social media for the exact date.
WE ACCEPT DONATIONS IN THE FOLLOWING CATEGORIES
- Arts: Art, music, opera, movies, television, and biographies of people in these fields
- Business and Economics
- Collectors: Books published before 1960
- Communication: Books about newspapers or magazines, collections of essays, English grammar books, style books (Strunk & White, AP Stylebook, etc.), “How-to” writing guides; books on journalists, muckrakers, and TV news commentators
- DVDs, CDs, and Audiobooks
- Fiction: Historical fiction, hardback romance, contemporary fiction
- Foreign Language: Books in languages other than English
- Health and Self-Help: Diet, exercise, child-raising, self-fulfillment, relationships
- Humor and Pop Culture: Includes joke books, books about space aliens, the occult, astrology, comic books, graphic novels, books on astrology, the paranormal
- International: In a language other than English
- Life Science: Books on anatomy, biology, botany; field guides to birds, mammals, etc.; “All Creatures Great and Small” series; agriculture yearbooks; forestry; veterinary books
- Literature: Classics, poetry, plays, myths, Cliff Notes, summaries of great works, books on theory of criticism/criticism.
- Paperbacks, fiction and non-fiction
- Political Science: Law books, political parties, elections, communist theory, war
- Religion: Includes children’s religious books, Bible stories, hymnals, as well as novels published by Christian publishing companies
- Physical Sciences and Engineering: Books about astronomy, geology, computers, chemistry, physics, hydrology, electronics, physical geography, texts on cartography
- Puzzles and Games
- Science Fiction: Speculative fiction, alternative history, some horror, paranormal romance, vampires
- Music: Sheet music and books on music
- Social Science: Includes anthropology, psychology, archaeology, sociology, feminism, true crime, sexual orientation
- Special collections: Books that have higher value due to rarity, age, subject
- Sports: Includes books on hunting, fishing, guns, extreme sports, equestrian books, Joe Paterno
Photo by Carolyn Todd
WE CANNOT ACCEPT
The following items do not sell well and are expensive for us to dispose of.
- Items that are unhealthy to handle or dirty, moldy, smelly, burnt, chewed, or wet
- Textbooks that were published more than five years ago unless they are classic reference books
- Vinyl phonograph records, audio and video tapes
- Magazines, including National Geographic magazines
- Travel guides more than five years old
- Readers Digest Condensed Books
- VHS tapes
- Library books, or materials that have been discarded from libraries and bear their stamps
WHAT YOU CAN DO WITH THE BOOKS WE CANNOT ACCEPT
Centre County Recycling states the following regarding books that AAUW cannot accept: “Soft cover books go as they are but must be bundled for curbside pickup just like magazines. Hard back books can be recycled after the front and back covers are removed. Then they are handled just like soft cover and/or magazines. If you do not have curbside service, the books may be placed in one of our drop-off bins labeled ‘mixed paper’.”
Send your donation questions to email@example.com.